We’re looking for a self-driven, entrepreneurial individual with strong business development or project management experience to help lead Fenix into new countries across Africa.
Fenix International (www.fenixintl.com) is a venture-backed technology company with offices in East Africa and Silicon Valley. Our mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services.
Our flagship product, the ReadyPay Power System, is an expandable, lease-to-own home solar system financed through affordable installments from just $0.15 per day over Mobile Money. We use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades or other life-changing loans.
To date, we have sold over 100,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda and we are growing our product portfolio and geographic coverage to bring power and a wider world of financing to 3 million customers by 2020.
At Fenix, one of our core values is to think big and make things happen. As Country Expansion Manager at Fenix, you will embody this value.
Your focus will be leading Fenix into new markets by 1) designing country-specific expansion strategy, 2) designing and executing pilots, and 3) enabling the transition to launch at scale.
- Conduct market entry assessments to critically evaluate new markets for Fenix and determine market readiness
- Develop relationships with relevant actors in an assigned portfolio of new markets and maintain Fenix’s networks throughout the business environment
- Draft country business plans and financial models for priority markets in your portfolio
- Create multi-market hiring pipelines for key personnel and management for new countries, conducting initial screenings and interviews where appropriate
- Design, manage, and oversee pilots:
- Set up pilot management systems and reporting structures, and lead 3-6 month pilots on the ground in assigned countries
- Coordinate between strategic partners in new countries and Fenix teams to ensure pilot workplan alignment, especially on-time business integration as needed
- Onboard and manage start-up teams including sales, finance, operations, customer service, and more, to ensure a smooth transition from pilot to launch
- Develop and manage pilot budgets and targets
- Throughout the pilot, monitor and test market requirements of product and pricing, marketing, sales, distribution, partner integration, and service with potential partners, as well as customer experience and country-specific customer insights, to inform commercialization strategies post-pilot
- Coordinate initial admin and operations, including undertaking the steps needed to operate legally in a new market and the logistics required to ensure delivery of pilot materials (stock) in target countries
- Set up systems to manage initial sales and repayments where solutions do not exist presently
- Help create a culture that recognizes and embraces Fenix’s vision and value, always encourages success, and supports all employees
- Provide management with regular reports on findings and progress
Project Management to Launch Commercially
- In collaboration with business development leadership, develop commercialization strategies for assigned markets
- Manage the market entry timeline and recruiting plan for assigned markets
- Coordinate Fenix departments to successfully prepare for a soft launch and commercial sales in assigned markets
- Fulfill open functions on the launch team until key roles are filled
Required Skills & Experience
- Leadership & project management experience: we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to scaling a company or project. We especially value candidates who have designed, executed, and scaled pilot projects.
- Experience living or working in Africa or other emerging markets
- Exceptional analytical skills and ability to synthesize analysis into practical strategy recommendations
- Comfort and experience with cultivating strong relationships with external clients, whether in a board room or a rural off-grid community
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills (English)
- Excellent judgement and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Highly motivated by customer happiness
- Three years’ minimum work experience in a relevant role
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in relevant field
Highly Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience living or working in a rural economy
- Financial modeling skills
- Knowledge of Quickbooks or similar accounting software
- French or Portuguese language proficiency
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
Fenix offers a competitive salary, equity, and a high growth work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.