We’re looking for an experienced Managing Director to provide exceptional leadership as we deliver clean, affordable energy to over a million Zambians.
Fenix International (www.fenixintl.com) is a venture-backed technology company whose mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Power, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable installments from just $0.15 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans.
To date, we have sold over 100,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda and we are growing our product portfolio and geographic coverage to bring power and a wider world of financing to over 2 million customers by 2021. We are now poised to scale and revolutionize access to electricity and financial services in Zambia.
As Managing Director at Fenix, your key functions will include:
- Leadership: Provide exceptional leadership as a Managing Director in Zambia. This includes, but is not limited to the following roles and responsibilities:
- create and communicate a strong vision,
- ensure Fenix embodies its core values,
- build a high-performing, passionate team with a strong culture,
- relentlessly pursue an exceptional customer experience, and drive innovation to ensure Fenix is a market leader.
- Department Set up & Management: Set up the following departments and provide leadership and support to each one: Sales & Marketing, Customer Experience, Consumer Credit, Finance, Operations & Talent.
- Strategy & planning: Work closely with Fenix leadership to develop and execute a strategy to launch and scale nationwide operations in Zambia.
- Team growth & culture: Oversee recruitment and retention of top talent needed to achieve Fenix Zambia goals; support training, mentorship, and development of individuals. Resolve conflicts and provide solutions to problematic situations. Be a role model to the entire company by embodying Fenix values and culture.
- Goal, target, & incentive setting: Ensure the team has clear goals, targets, and incentives to support growth in key areas including sales, customer experience, finance, and operations.
- Delivery & execution: Build and manage a group of highly motivated teams and individuals to collaborate on achieving growth, revenue and portfolio quality targets.
- Engagement of partners: Work with local partners to build long-term relationships, negotiate commercial agreements, and ensure that Fenix’s long-term strategy is represented in partner objectives. Open up new contacts, networks, partnerships, and funding opportunities for Fenix Zambia.
- Business excellence & iterative improvement: Take overall responsibility for the quality of the business in Zambia, including but not limited to sales, customer service, operations, product development, and finance. Continuously iterate to improve on processes that maximize efficiency and customer experience.
- Organizational reporting: Collate team reports and report feedback to contribute directly to Fenix leadership. Provide management insights and analysis on key performance indicators and progress towards targets.
- Manage internal communications: Communicate regularly and effectively to the entire organization on team decisions, policy, operational issues, and organizational/strategic changes.
- Manage external communications: Take responsibility for all external Zambian communications and marketing. Act as public speaker and public relations representative to strengthen Fenix’s profile.
- Financial management and stewardship: Oversee Fenix Zambia’s financial performance at the highest level by providing support and strategic guidance to the finance team and departments to properly budget, forecast, and review expenses and revenues.
Required Skills & Experience
- Proven leadership experience. We are looking for someone with significant leadership experience at multiple levels
- Experience working within a growth company. Ideally someone who has planned, developed, and scaled a company, making significant contributions towards revenue growth
- Management experience. We are looking for someone who has led large, diverse teams
- Passion for improving the quality of life of our customers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain big-picture vision while simultaneously focusing on the minute details
- Ability to use data to make smart decisions, whilst maintaining the ability to make decisions in the absence of data if it doesn’t exist
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English)
- High competency with IT and technology
- Thrives on teamwork
- Work experience in an emerging economy & commitment to live and work with Fenix in Africa for at least 3+ years
- Humility & willingness to roll up sleeves
Highly Desired Skills & Experience
- Understanding of and experience working with the rural BOP market in Southern Africa
- Sales experience in Africa
- Experience with an energy company, FMCG company, telecom and/or MFI
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun, fast paced and high-growth work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.