Fenix International (www.fenixintl.com) is a venture-backed technology company whose mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Power, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable installments from just $0.15 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans.
To date, we have sold over 100,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda and we are growing our product portfolio and geographic coverage to bring power and a wider world of financing to over 2 million customers by 2020. We are now poised to scale and revolutionize access to electricity and financial services in Zambia.
Fenix is looking for a dynamic, experienced Finance Manager with a passion for entrepreneurship, renewable energy, and financial inclusion to join our team. This position is a unique leadership role in a fast-paced start up at the front lines of renewable energy and mobile payment technology.
The Finance Manager will report directly to Fenix’s Global Finance Director, and work closely with the business development team to build and oversee a successful finance department, including implementation of financial systems and processes, and hiring and managing a full finance team.
- Work with the Business Development Director (until full time Zambia Managing Director is hired) and Fenix Global Finance Director to set up scalable finance systems to track and report on revenues, expenditure and cash position
- Support budget management and forecasting for Fenix operations in Zambia, as well as a range of other functional departments as needed
- Manage Zambia budget. Provide clear regular reports to the management team on performance to budget, cash flow projections, and risks
- Hire and manage a team of hardworking, likeminded operations and accounting staff to execute on all necessary financial activities
- Assess and continuously improve the ReadyPay portfolio health strategy to ensure repayment is healthy
- Manage and oversee all financial activities, including:
- Build out and maintain the Fenix Zambia financial model
- Create and implement budgets, accounting practices, purchasing guidelines, and reporting processes
- Maintain Fenix Chart of Accounts across all operations
- Coordinate tax and audit filings
- Maintain banking relationships and monitor accounts
- Train and manage the local finance and accounting staff
- Oversee revenue, expenses booking according to globally compliant practices
- Implement operational best practices
- Support Business Development Director (until full time Zambia Managing Director is hired) and Global Finance Director with fundraising efforts as needed, and financial reporting for investors
- Evaluate and engage with advisors as needed
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Business Administration or related field. MBA preferred.
- Significant leadership and management experience in finance, preferably as a Controller or Finance Manager
- Proficiency in accounting software tools
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills and proficiency in excel
- Financial modeling knowledge
- Ability to manage a multi-cultural team of operations and accounting staff
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative nature
- A passion for Fenix and our customers!
Highly Desired Skills
- Certified Accountant or CFA (not required)
- Work experience in a multinational company or financial institution, preferably with operations in Africa
- Experience with enterprise resource planning systems
- Understanding of rural BOP markets, microfinance, mobile telecom and/or renewable energy industries in East Africa
- Proficiency in Nyanja, Bemba or other local language highly desired
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun, fast paced and high-growth work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.